There is new meaning to the phrases "you are getting on my nerves," and Mom's favorite growing up... "I've got one nerve left, and you are on it." I now fully understand the meaning of phrases.
Two months after Quinn was born, I started feeling pain in my lower back. It started out mild at first, and because of my idiotic attitude of thinking "it will work itself out" I didn't go see a doctor. I also started running more, which didn't help the cause. I thought whatever it was, was just a pregnancy thing (which is true) and that it would go eventually (which is NOT true).
About 6 weeks ago, also 6 months since the pain started (the same time we were moving) the pain intensified way past just mild annoying back pain to searing pain shooting up and down my leg. Again, being the idiot I am, I just chalked it up to the stress of moving and all the lifting, and figured it would work itself out." Aaron told me he wouldn't give me any sympathy until I went to the doctor. Nice, huh? The pain is now to the point I can not walk without limping. I can't stand longer than 10 minutes, and everyday by 5pm I'm practically incompasitated (sp?). It's been no fun.
Anyway, the point of my LONG story is - Yes, I do have a point- I finally went to the doctor, and it is a pinched nerve! The Sciatic Nerve to be exact. It's pressure on the nerve that is causing all the pain. Again why the phrase " you are getting on my nerves" has new clearity and meaning.
And today I start physical therapy. I'm extrememly nervous. My dear old sister told me physical therapy is worse than delivering a baby! I had an epidural for both of mine. I'm a baby when it comes to pain, and there will be no epidural today. I'm in enough pain just sitting, let alone all the stretching! Anway, if there is any advice you wise friends of mine have, let me know.
10 comments:
No way! I've had to do physical therapy for a variety of things on this old bod of mine and most of the time I totally end up loving it! Los of times they give you massage and put you in a whirlpool. I hope you get that kind!
So sorry to hear about this. Trish has this a lot and I have had it before too...no fun!
Sorry to hear you sad tale of woe. I had physical therapy after my shoulder surgery and it really helped me heal faster. The therapist told me that I made such fast progress because I followed his instructions exactly. Take care and make Aaron give you some sympathy now.
I'm sorry to hear about your back too. I had the same kind of pain when I was pregnant with Sammie and working at Allyse's. Dianne actually diagnosed me. Doesn't sound nearly as bad as yours though. I have had PT on my back before though and like Erin said, it was awesome! It was a 45 minute massage and I only had a $5 copay. I hope you get just as lucky and get better soon! Natalie Kewish
I'm so sorry...that is no fun. I have no advice unfortunately but just wanted to wish you luck!
It is about time you went to the Dr. I am sorry to say that I agree with Kusch...no sympathy until you get to the doctor. But let the sympathy begin!!! Milk it for all its worth and enjoy the therapy. Just think of it as time away from the kids, working out or stretching, and did I mention time alone! I am proud of you, and hope you get better soon. I want you in tip top shape for when I get there! Love ya!
What the..... you're PREGNANT!? Forget the back pain. Let's talk about the bun in the oven. I noticed there is no information on this matter on the Ladies of 209 blog. What gives? I'm calling you tonight. That's final. Don't screen my call- it's coming.
YIKES! NOT PREGNANT! Natalie... your crazy! Although there is another "209" girl that is!?!?!? I hope you do call, I'm waiting!
Ok, I had the same sciatic nerve thing when I was pregnant with Luke. It's so annoying. I hope you enjoy the physical therapy. I bet it will probably be a nice break from the kiddos.
Gotta agree with Alynda that it does help things heal much quicker. However, my experiences in PT often turned out to be a lot like what I imaginge the Spanish Inquisition to have been like. I was shocked, frozen, stretched and poked over and over.
Best of luck and I hope you feel better really fast!
Man I'm sorry I had issues with that when I prego w/ Cam but THANK HEAVENS it worked it's way out...I am really sorry to hear that yours did not :( But please keep us updated with your recovery, Yes Erin I said recovery, That means you need to do what the doctor says!!!! He he he
Post a Comment