Thursday, June 4, 2009

How Dangerous are Coyotes?


Yesterday at around 7:30pm we had an unexpected visitor. Let me start out with about 30 minutes before that I was in our front yard weeding. Zoe and I had just come back from a walk. After everyone was in Aaron looked out the window and spotted a coyote just hanging out in our front yard. He traipsed around in the front for a bit and then headed to our backyard. Eventually he disappeared into some wooded area that divides our property line. We watched to see if he would reappear, especially seeing that we have rabbits all over in that wooded area and in our yard. We thought we might get to see a little "National Geographic" first hand. He never did come back.

It had me wondering this morning, however, when I went for a quick run on a path that winds through our neighborhood, exactly how dangerous are coyotes? I'm not going to lie, it had me looking over my shoulder a few times on the run. Should I be worried? The kids are outside playing all the time. What do you think?

7 comments:

Alynda said...

Coyotes or tornados? You pick. Have Aaron tell you about our visitor a few years ago - a skunk that made a home under our deck. Stinky!

The Dinner Belle said...

I don't think coyotes are dangerous unless they are rabid. I think they would run away if they saw you.

PS - GREAT steal on that bed!!!

PPS - I NEED you to send me your mango and sticky rice recipe!!!!

Randy and Danielle said...

hi Erin!
I would be worried; in my old neighborhood, we had a coyote attack a small dog right in front of us. It didn't even really care that we were there trying to chase it away. Also, a 2 year old was bitten by one in a town just a few minutes away from us. I have had lots of experiences with Coyotes, and they are NOT scared of humans. Sorry to freak you out, but it is better to be aware, espeically, with little kids. I would call animal control to see what the policies are in your neighborhood.

Renae said...

Yeah, I think you should be worried about your little people. Coyotes are pretty brazen. Call animal control and pick their brain.

Randy and Danielle said...

Hi Erin!

We are living in Meridian, right outside of Boise. Downtown Boise is about 15 minutes away from us. Yes, if you are ever if the area it would be great to see you. Elizabeth lives about 5 minutes away, and who knows, maybe Bille and Mike will move out here too, :)!! Our home email address is Lindberg2358@cableone.net if you are ever heading out this way.

Sunny said...

I just love the picture you picked of the coyote. That looks terrifying...and based on your other friend's comments about right.

Almira said...

Kyle talked to Aaron last night, but I don't think they decided on anything?--you guys should definitely come for 4th of July or whenever you want! We'd love it! Especially since we're getting "the lay of the land" and we'll know all the cool places to go once you're here!

Unfortunately, Oprah is not filming until August, so don't be too disappointed that we won't make it to the show, but I'm sure we'll find something else equally as blasphemous. lol.

At any rate, we promise fun and festivities or at least a scrumptious barbecue! :)