Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A little bit Turbo and a little bit Wimpy

TURBO: I went running with a couple of girlfriends this morning @6am in -17 degrees...

WIMPY: It took me 39 minutes to run a 5k (13 min mile).

Aaron, myself and said girlfriends are running a 7K (4.3 miles)in a few weeks. I figured I needed to get outside an off my treadmill so I can get used to running in colder weather. I'm a slow runner anyway, but BOY did -17 degrees take a toll on me. After the first mile I wanted to turn around and run home. I'm glad I pushed myself to finish what I set out to do. Thanks Mirjam and Terra! For keeping me going! The race is on whether rain or shine. Last year it was a chilly 7 degrees. Let's hope I can get used to running in this kind of cold.

To stay warm I had running tights, two pairs of warm up pants,two shirts, a sweatshirt, a running jacket, a north face jacket, a chin and neck warmer, warm head band (for my ears), a beanie, a hood over the beanie, and gloves. I had to take the gloves off for about two minute to get my ipod set up and my fingers just about fell off. Next time I'll take a picture.

When I finished this morning we all had a good laugh. I had icicles on my eyelashes, and eyebrows. Yeah, I'm a little bit TURBO.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You are crazy.

Mimi said...

Turbo all the way. I think once you've done it it gets easier. You have to breath differently and focus on your footing instead of watching the Bachelor handing out Roses. lol

(last Saturday when it snowed it was a little worse. So now we know that we can handle cold weather. Just pray for no snow and we're good to go.)
Take a nap!

Amber King said...

Yes, I wish you had a picture of icicles hanging off your eyelashes. :)

And I give permission for the "runner's poo" story. But Sunny may need to make the final call.

Brooke said...

You are amazing!! I want to go running outside, but I need my heel to get better first. Do you have grip things that you put on your shoes or just your regular tennis shoes? I can't believe you can run when it is that cold....and here I thought Alaska got a bit cold sometimes :)
My friend Bobbi just got a mask that turns the cold air into warm air, so you don't breath in freezing cold air! (might be a good investment- I will have to ask how she likes it)

Emily Wilson said...

That is Awesome! Good job! I went for a bike ride in 75 degree weather yesterday....you should come visit me here ;)

Beccarigg said...

You rock woman! Running in the cold is hard!! You're legs get so numb and totally slow you down. I remember well running in the frigid Minnesota winter and it ain't for light weights!! ; ) You're definitely turbo!

Dayton and Candice said...

Yes please post a picture of your runnung attire..It's making me picture you looking like the lil'bro on A Christmas Story " I can't put my arms down!!"-- Great job though you are awesome!!! I have started running it's a little rough but I am starting to really like it!!! keep up the great job!!

bfav said...

All those clothes tacked on your time. What are you Rocky? Too funny.I'm excited for your race. If it makes it up to 7 degrees maybe you can shed to layer and a couple minutes off your time. Team Livy!

Sunny said...

That's crazy. I won't even run in 30 degree weather. I'm a wimp.