Monday, August 24, 2009

If Satan had a dog...


It was really dark this morning when I went to meet my friend Kim to go running. I leave the house at 5:40am. (I have to be back in time before Aaron leaves for work at 7:00) It's that time of year, and it's starting to stay darker longer in the morning. Even though we live in a safe neighborhood, my imagination always gets the best of me as I'm walking the two blocks to meet her. As I rounded the corner to the bridge where we meet, I could hear a dog coming my way. I just kept thinking, please be on a leash, please be on a leash, please be on a leash. I could hear by the way it was panting and it's footsteps that it was a large dog. I just couldn't see it yet. So as I came around the corner there was a large tree between me and the dog. The dog appeared and it was, of course, huge and scary, and not more than a few yards away. Too close for comfort. I startled and took a step back, and I think I surprised the dog too, because he immediately started barking and lunged for me. I'm not going to lie, I was terrified, and I full on screamed! Just then an owner appeared from the other side of tree and I realized the dog was, in fact, on a leash.. a long leash that I hadn't noticed in the dark. He got within 3 feet of me and was still growling. She apologized and tried to get the dog to turn around. She said I had scared him too. And then the best part, she said as she was walking away, "I hope that got your heart pumping for your run." Are you kidding? Your dog about took me down even with the leash, of course it got my heart pumping! I'm just glad the leash wasn't longer, or he would have taken a bite out of me.

7 comments:

Alynda said...

Yikes! I can remember a time when my friend and I were walking together and we hid behind someone's fence near their front door because a dog came bounding down that big hill in Santa Teresa (with no lease). We laugh about it now (crouched down and peaking out to see if is was safe to come out)but at the time we were afraid with a capital A! Oh the excitment of outdoor exercise.

Beccarigg said...

That would've FREAKED me out! I totally would've screamed. Heck, I almost screamed just reading that! And I like how the owner was so sympathetic! Geez! Good for you for getting out there so early to run though. I wish I was a morning person and could do that but I usually have to run at night because I can't get my butt out of bed in the a.m.!

Natalie said...

Perfect photo. I can just see it now. I can't believe that lady and her comment. It's times like that when I wish I had a mini paintball gun in my bag or something. Just pop-pop-pop, then look away as if you're noticing a distant bird. No damage done, just taught them a lesson.

Bet you'd like to live in my world. You'd be welcome there. ;)

bfav said...

you and amber can comiserate. good times.

Amber King said...

I hate dogs. Go ahead and judge me, I still hate them.

Sunny said...

Way funny! And I'm sure I would have reacted the same way. I screamed at a horse that surprised me once on my run. Horses aren't scary....I can't imagine the terror of seeing a big scary dog that early in the morning.

Mimi said...

my heart is racing just from reading...I don't like big dogs, a loose German shepherd sent me a up a tree when I was a kid and I had to stay there until he left.