Monday, July 6, 2009

New Piano... now if only I knew how to play...

We found this sweet "vintage" piano on craigslist this past weekend. It's over 100 years old and works fabulously.. not to mention it was free! It has hand-carved woodwork, and chipped ivory keys. We love it. We did NOT love moving it. I don't think I've ever hated anything more. Aaron and I's marriage almost didn't make it while moving this beast of an instrument. He's really good to put up with my wild ideas, but this one about put him over the edge. I did not anticipate this piano would weigh in close to 1,000 lbs. I'm not joking either. It was excruciatingly heavy, and there was only 3 of us to move it. I really didn't do much. I was not strong enough, so more like, only 2 1/2 people moving it. We had a few casualties along the way as well: our wall got dinged, Aaron's phone to a hit, bruises galore, and it smashed Aaron's toe at one point too. Again, I was not the favorite person around our house on Friday. However, once in place, we absolutely love it. By Saturday, my status in the house was on the rise again.

Now, if only we knew how to play well. I need to take lessons again, and I want to see how Zoe would do in lessons. If anyone knows any good teachers, let us know.

Sorry, no pictures of the beast yet.

4 comments:

Alynda said...

I'll bring you some great music when we come in August. There is a good method for adults and I have the books for you.

Beccarigg said...

That's so awesome that you got it for free! I was laughing at your description of moving it though. Moving anything has a tendency to bring out my grumpy side, can't imagine trying to move a 1,000 lb beast! The girls will love it though! great find!

Haley said...

Moving our piano in Las Vegas during July just about ended my marriage too, so I totally know what you're saying! I wish I was there to play it and teach you and Zoe. I'm thinking about teaching when I get ours back. But that will not happpen until we own a home in which we have no plans to move again - Steve's rule. Come on guys, get over it. How are you the luckiest Craigslist people ever? What a great find! Happy playing!

Natalie said...

I agree with Haley - you have amazing Craigslist intuition. You must be instinctively led to the cool free stuff that was obviously supposed to be part of your family.

Here's a once-in-a-lifetime offer:
I'd like to give you a free marriage counseling session for the Aaron & Erin dynamic duo. Don't even ask if I am qualified. That's obvious.