Monday, January 31, 2011

We Have a Grandma Down!


(photo stolen my sister Amber's blog)

My sweet Mom, Grandma Patsy, gave us all a scare this week... well not her, but her heart. Wednesday was quite possible one of the worst days of my life. It's times like these that I hate living states away from my family. The day started out quite well, but got scary and very real instantly when my sister called to tell me my Mom was taken to the ER because she thought she was having a heart attack, but the Docs couldn't figure out what was going on with her heart. Talk of blood clots and pace makers were thrown around. Floods of emotions and scenarios started rushing through my head. I wanted to jump on a plane right then, but had to keep reminding myself there was no reason to panic until they knew exactly what was going on and how serious it was.

After a long, and very stressful day of waiting for information they diagnosed her with a heart condition called atrial tachycardia, which is treatable with meds (that seem to be working so far). It's a condition that causes her heart to miss fire. Apparently she has a group of "rebel cells" that are sending mixed signals to parts of her heart so it doesn't beat regularly. She is not completely out of the clear yet, but hopefully with this medicine it will be manageable. She's home from the hospital now, and is resuming her regular schedule with the exception of her new diet, which consists of no chocolate, no caffeine, and no sugar (or very limited sugar).My Mom is amazing, even when she was in the hospital hooked up to heart monitors she was more worried about me and how my day was going!

I'm just glad this week is over!

We love you Grandma Patsy and miss you lots!

3 comments:

Angela and Enrique said...

Oh no, what a scare! I hope your mom is doing better!

Beccarigg said...

that is so scary! My mom had a health scare last year and it was the worst being so far away. I was ready to jump on a plane too. Hope your mom is recovering well and doing better!

Brooke said...

Not Sweet Grandma Patsy, I love that woman! I hope your mom is doing well, she will be in our prayers.