We were finishing up dinner and fun at a friends house when the tornado sirens sounded. There was no rain or wind. You could see storm clouds coming, and we could tell it was going to be pretty stormy, we just had no idea how fast it was going to sneak up on us. We took our time getting the kids in the car and finally were on our way. It took the storm about 5 minutes to catch us, and then it unleashed it's fury!!! By this time we were on a highway in the center lane with cars all around us. We were sitting ducks. There was nowhere for us to go. We couldn't pull over- nor did we want to, and the visibility was so poor we had to drive at a snails pace. The wind was blowing incredibly hard causing horizontal rain, the trees on the side of the road where the scariest for me. They were whipping and thrashing in the wind so wildly, I felt like I was in the middle of hurricane (from what I've seen of videos). When we could see through the windshield, Aaron and were both searching the sky for a funnel cloud. Not that there was much we could do on this highway. I think I held my breath the entire way home. I just kept thinking of all the different scenarios, and it was terrifying that we had the girls in the back.
By the time we reached the house (15 minutes later), the wind wasn't quite so bad. We put a movie on for the girls to calm them down, or I should say Zoe down. Quinn could have cared less. She had sat in the back of the car happily munching on chips, totally oblivious.
Here is a picture I took of the sunset right after the storm had passed. The coloring doesn't do it justice, it was so vivid.
Here are a few pictures I stole from weather.com of the "supercell" that came through. These pictures were taken from around neighboring towns. It was reported later that 8 tornadoes touched down from the storm. Thankfully, the closest one to us was about 10 miles away. It could have been a lot worse.
YIKES!!
5 comments:
Holy crap is all I can say! That would absolutely terrify me! Glad you survived, my friend. Minnesota and snow, I knew about. Minnesota and tornados? Had no idea!
i guess you have heard about the storm a few years ago that uprooted all the fir trees along Noble, that's when they rebuilt the central park playground because it looked like ground zero. sirens=basement. lol. now you know.
glad you're ok. we were at the st.paul airport in a hangar. i could have died in a porta potty.
Crazy scary. Glad you guys made it out in one peice. You should just pick up and move to AZ....no scary storms here....just a lot of sun :)
SCARY!!! That is one thing I do NOT miss about the midwest. Isn't the calm after the storm the most amazing thing ever?
Scary Livy! I would have peed my pants for sure! Glad you were with Aaron.
Post a Comment